Sunday, October 9, 2011

god-par-ent

godparent: (n) a person who stands sponsor to another at baptism.

The original itinerary for this east coast tour called for a trip to Raleigh, North Carolina, after my visit with Diana. Unfortunately there was a snafu of sorts which arose a few weeks ago and I was no longer able to travel south. So instead I headed west a few days early to Abingdon, Virginia, where my Godparents and cousin, Shannon, live. It was another LONG drive, clear across the state of Virginia, but with fall rolling in, the colorful foliage that blanketed the mountains made the drive simply gorgeous. Though it had been years since I last visited their Virginia home, the extremely narrow roads and the near vertical pitch of the driveway were unforgettable. I arrived with enough time for Aunt Mary Kay to fix me some lunch before she left for work. Shannon was due home from her job an hour later, so I took advantage of the down time to play with her new kitten. Apart from the run that Shannon and I went on together in town later that afternoon, my brief trip to Abingdon was primarily spent catching up with my extended family at the house. Shannon and I had our girl talk before Uncle Larry returned home with cousin Preston who was visiting from college. We all had dinner, and Uncle Larry attempted to bake cookies, before Aunt Mary Kay returned home from work.

Though the visit to Abingdon was brief, my time with Pionk family was not over yet. Preston's fiancé's parents, the Stepps, are season football ticket holders at Virginia Tech. where Preston, and his fiancé Jessica attend, where Diana and her boyfriend Jay graduated from, and where my friend Stacey and her husband Chad work. The Stepps offered 3 of their 6 tickets to Aunt Mary Kay, Uncle Larry and me. So Saturday morning the whole house was up bright and early for game day.

No comments:

Post a Comment